Thursday, January 22, 2015

No Riff Tho: Tangerine Dream - Phaedra





I don’t listen to as much metal as I used to. Every once in a while I just want to discuss something cool I’ve discovered outside the metal world. I’d prefer to do this as little as possible, since this is specifically a metal blog, but today I felt otherwise, so here goes...

A few weeks ago I referenced Tangerine Dream in a winter-themed exclusive on the blog. Before that post I’d maybe heard two or three of their soundtracks for other 80’s films (and GTA5, which I coincidentally have been playing since Christmas). Curiosity struck and I dove into their discography through their wiki page, a 45-year monument containing an astronomical 101 studio recordings (not including bootlegs, compilations, EPs, singles…). I’ve only listened to maybe 10 of their albums in two weeks because I’m treating each one with total admiration and studious repeats. I’m not very knowledgeable on the genre, but in terms of sound I classify them as the comfortable medium between the best of Pink Floyd (think Meddle) and Kraftwerk. All instrumental, pulsing synth approaches superimposed over a wash of grey cloud-kissed ambience. Phaedra is universally regarded by fans and critics as their greatest and most important work, and after a dozen repeats I respect their collective opinions. This is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever heard, from beginning to end, and I’m trying to avoid similes and clichés to describe what I hear, but I hope you give this a listen and hear the same things I have.

Edit 1/24/15: Sorry to hear this week founding member Edgar Froese died at age 70. Craziest of coincidences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment