Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Napalm Death - You Suffer


Riff mark: uhh



Jeez, I dunno. I guess your perception of Scum is reliant on roots and beliefs. If you played or attended shows with lots of crust/grind/power-violence bands growing up and subscribed to the DIY punk-rock ethic, then this is your grail, your crucifix to ward nay-sayers, and arguably the single most important album by which your standards mimic. Otherwise (and here comes the flood of great criticism), Scum is an unrelatable, alienating work of anti-genius, made by geniuses who would springboard to greater, influential rockers, such as Godflesh, Carcass, Cathedral, and (huzzah!) a more improved Napalm Death. Side One and Side Two swap all members but drummer Mick Harris (fun trivia: no original members exist in the band in 2015). Most crust-kids prefer Side Two to One, but I prefer side One for these reasons: I slightly like Nicholas Bullen’s vocals over Lee Dorrian’s (apples to oranges), and after 10 minutes of Side One, I’m too exhausted to  bother with a second half. So, what does Scum sound like? I don’t know. Tell me. Skip to early 90’s for better Napalm Death, and add Terrorizer’s World Downfall and Brutal Truth’s Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses for supplemental (easier) listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment